Press Release: Ellis Carr of Momentus Capital Named to the Washington Business Journal’s “Power 100” List for 2023
OCTOBER 17, 2023 (Arlington, VA/San Diego, CA) – Ellis Carr, the president and CEO of Capital Impact Partners and CDC Small Business Finance, part of the Momentus Capital branded family of companies, has been named to the Washington Business Journal’s annual Power 100 list.
“We assembled our annual Power 100 list of the most influential business leaders with the pending revival of Greater Washington top of mind,” wrote Washington Business Journal Editor-in-Chief Douglas Fruehling. “Who has the courage to stand up and discuss our problems without holding back? Who has the leadership skills — and, sometimes, the dollars — to make a difference? Who can we count on?”
Mr. Carr was one of 25 business leaders featured in the “Big Money & Financiers” section, which includes “the bankers, investors, and private and public behemoths driving the Greater Washington economy.” “Ellis Carr leads the ambitious Momentus Capital, an umbrella group of organizations co-headquartered in Arlington and San Diego with a mission to increase capital for underserved neighborhoods and entrepreneurs,” the Washington Business Journal wrote. “With approximately 255 employees nationwide and nearly $3 billion in assets, it’s comprised of the community development financial institution Capital Impact Partners, CDC Small Business Finance — which provides credit to underserved small businesses — and cloud-based lending technology vendor Ventures Lending Technologies.”
Mr. Carr has been the president and CEO of Capital Impact Partners since 2016 and was also named the president and CEO of CDC Small Business Finance in 2021.
“This is an honor that truly is about the passion and dedication of our team members at Momentus Capital. Our goal is to create an economic system that respects and uplifts all peoples’ right to achieve the dreams they have for themselves, their communities, and generations to come,” said Mr. Carr.
The Momentus Capital branded family of companies has deployed more than $345 million in financial capital to the D.C. region to support small businesses; community-focused developers such as those who focus on affordable housing, health care, and education; residential and commercial cooperatives; and access to healthy foods. It has also provided knowledge capital and social capital through free training and mentorship programs for about 75 developers of color, and through technical assistance for local entrepreneurs.
“We are proud to be listed alongside the many leaders and stakeholders who are contributing to the future of the Washington, D.C., Metro region.” Mr. Carr said. “One of our guiding principles is: ‘If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.’ The work we are all doing will help everyone in the D.C. region have access to the capital and opportunities they deserve.”
This is the latest recognition for Momentus Capital:
- In 2022, the Washington Business Journal honored Mr. Carr as the Nonprofit Leader of the Year.
- In 2022, Fast Company named Mr. Carr to that publication’s 14th annual list of the Most Creative People in Business.
- Chief Human Resources Officer Kimberly Dorsett was named one of DCA Live’s 2023 HR Leaders of the Year.
- Momentus Capital was nominated to the Washington Business Journal’s Inno on Fire awards in 2022 for helping to fuel the region’s economy.
- Team member Aaron Gougis won a “Leaders in Diversity” award from the Dallas Business Journal.
- CDC Small Business Finance finished Fiscal Year 2022 as the foremost SBA 504 and Community Advantage lender in the United States.
- CDC Small Business Finance also was named the top SBA Community Advantage lender in the Fresno (Calif.) District, and the Community Advantage lender of the year and a Top 10 lender of the year in the SBA’s Michigan District.
- Team member Miriam Torres Baltys received the Financial Services Champion of the Year” award from the SBA’s San Diego District Office in its 2023 National Small Business Week Awards.
- Team members Ken Rosenthal and Stacey Sanchez received two top honors from Coleman Report as the leading banking publication’s SBA Business Development Officers of the Year.
- The NonProfit Times named Capital Impact Partners and CDC Small Business Finance as two of the best nonprofits to work for.
About Momentus Capital The Momentus Capital branded family of organizations refers to the combined operations of Capital Impact Partners, CDC Small Business Finance, Momentus Direct Capital, Momentus Securities, and Ventures Lending Technologies. While each organization under the Momentus Capital brand still operates as a separate entity, their clients will now have access to more resources and products.
The Momentus Capital branded family of organizations is transforming how capital and investments flow into communities to provide people access to the capital and opportunities they deserve. We are working to reinvent traditional financial systems that have failed to address systemic issues of inequality, economic empowerment, and the widening racial wealth gap by offering a continuum of financial, knowledge, and social capital to help local leaders build inclusive and equitable communities and create generational wealth. This includes a comprehensive package of loan products, impact investment opportunities, training and business advising programs, technology services that advance locally-led solutions, and investment banking and transaction advisory services (provided by Momentus Securities, a Finra-member broker/dealer).
Leveraging 80 years of combined experience, nearly $3 billion in assets, and strong community engagement, we have delivered $23 billion in financing, created and preserved 250,000 jobs, and served 12,000 small businesses and five million people across their history.
With headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, and San Diego, California, Momentus Capital operates nationally with a focus on larger urban areas and cities in Arizona, California, Michigan, Nevada, New York, Texas, and the Washington metro area.
Learn more at momentuscap.org.