July is #IndieRetailerMonth – Join in to Support Small Business
July is Independent Retailer Month and it’s all about encouraging consumers to shop local and celebrate small business owners. Take a moment to see how you can support small businesses and learn more about how shopping with local businesses affects the community and the greater economy.
One Inspiring Fact:
- If every family in the U.S. spent an extra $10 a month at locally owned, independent businesses instead of national chains, over $9.3 billion would be returned to local economies.
Independent Retailer Month was started by two small business retailers who joined forces in 2011 to create the movement, which starts July 1 each year. Of course, shopping local is encouraged year round, but July is a time to celebrate independent retailers. They help build our economy, creating more sustainable cities, towns and communities.
The Impact of Small Business on Communities
The leaders behind Independent Retailer Month collected several eye-popping facts about the effects shopping local can have on communities.
Studies by Civic Economics found:
- In New Orleans, the researchers identified that if residents and visitors shifted 10 percent of their spending from chains to local businesses, it would generate an additional $235 million a year in local economic activity. Not just spending either – job creation too.
- Independent retail returns 46.9% of all revenue to the local economy. Major chains, though, recirculate 13.6% of revenue within local markets.
How You Can Support Small Businesses During #IndieRetailerMonth
Take a moment to watch our video and come along with us as we share some tips on how to support Independent Retailers:
Tips for Amplifying your #SmallBiz Support | Indie Retailer Month
- Stop by your favorite shop in July – at their location or online. You probably already were planning to, so this one is easy.
- Post photos and messages of support to social media. Instagram is a great place to promote your favorite small business. You can simply post a photo to IG stories and tag the location or business to help spread awareness to your followers.
- Get to know your neighborhood. One great way of discovering new indie retailers is by taking a walk down the street. Take a moment to chat with the business owners about their shop, they might even give you recommendations to other great businesses nearby.
- Invite your friends to come shopping with you. Have a shopping day with friends or share with them the new shop you discovered. Word of mouth is a great way for small businesses to gain new customers.
- Remember to share an online review. Letting people know about your experience with local shops leads to positive word of mouth. Reviews are especially helpful for independent retailers, who often have a limited advertising budget. And the post will remain up far beyond July, so your support will keep on generating good vibes.
- If you’re able, commit to spending that $10 extra a month at independent retailers. The proceeds from your purchases won’t just make an impact at the shop – they will ripple into the local economy as well. That, in turn, creates jobs and contributes to community prosperity.
To learn more about how you can support local businesses check out our blog 21 Ways To Support Small Businesses In 2021 (even w/o money)
How Small Businesses Can Take Advantage of Independent Retailer Month
If you are a small business, you can use Independent Retailer Month to promote your business throughout July. Here are some ways you can benefit:
- The Independent Retailer Month website has downloadable resources that you can use to market your business and promote Independent Retailer month. They provide downloadable postcards, posters, and graphics that you can use in social media, on your website and in print. Here are some activity ideas they provide:
- Bonus buck: Give customers a $1 coupon for every $10 they spend in your store in July. The coupon is redeemable in August
- Check-in deals: Offer every shopper that “checks in” or tags to your store on social media an exclusive promotion.
- Charity giving: Offer to make a donation of 10% of the purchase price for each customer to a local community charity
- Take advantage of Independence Day and use it as a kick-off for your Independent Retailer Month activities. Take a look at local Fourth of July events and see if there is an opportunity to give out free products or coupons to gain new customers.
- Promote Independent Retailer Month on your social media channels by using the hashtags #IndieRetailerMonth, #IndieRetail and #ShopSmall so your followers can join in.
- Throughout the month of July, partner with other local independent retailers to host events, sales, or contests. Offer discounts at each other’s stores to customers who show a receipt from a participating store.